Sunday 4 October 2009

Images representing America

For my two images of America I have decided to look at social class and family values. For my positive image I have chosen a picture in which I feel portrays America's idea for the perfect family.



As you can see from the image there is the housewife and the hard working husband and then there is usually two or three perfect children. For me judging by the picture I would say that they are from an upper class society portraying to future families that America is the best place to raise a family.
However this image could be seen as deceptive because it does not portray anything about other social classes and that sometimes the perfect family is still a dream to be achieved.



This is my negative image, I have chosen this image because when America portrays the idea of the perfect family they do not show how most people often end up when they arrive at America, it also strengthens the idea that while America may be the perfect place to raise a family the money behind it is essential. As you can see from the image, this is middle class America struggling to survive while upper class America thrives on in the city behind it.












1 comment:

  1. Really interesting images. Some things for the group to think about and discuss in the small group: if this kind of family is the ideal, what kinds of people are defined as unable to become the ideal? As you say, class is important. But how about 'race', and sexuality? Could a single person become the ideal American?
    I was interested that you read the second image in terms of middle vs upper class. What has happened to the working class? More than half of all Americans who would be defined economically as working class, define themselves as middle class. Why do you think this is, and what effects does it have? Is the USA 'classless' in any meaningful way?

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.